Monday, November 3, 2008

My Second Life

This weekend, I began to explore the mystical world of Second Life. In this online planet, avatars can explore, make friends, buy property and even fly.  The opportunities are endless, just like in real life. For me, however, I could not connect emotionally to my avatar, nor could I master the rules that govern Second Life. All in all, I believe that Second Life may be a good outlet for some people, but I could not get into it. 
It was interesting to see the creations other Second Life members had made, and the imagination that came into creating objects such as this strawberry seat. The world is actually very beautiful. This night scene depicted had waterfalls and palm trees everywhere. Exploration also brought me to arctic tundras, tropical islands, and even Korea. Walking around in this virtual world expanded the number of places an individual could go. For someone who is generally confined to a homogenous environment, Second Life could provide a way to get out of the everyday confines of life. For me, I would rather step out my own front door and explore the real world.  Another aspect of the game that I would not buy into is the actual purchasing of Linden with real US dollars. Second Life users can buy property and material objects for their avatars to enjoy, however I could not justify spending my real money on an intangible, virtual house. 
My avatars name is Opal Burner. I was supposed to be able to change her appearance however I wanted, but for some reason, she is now wearing two skirts and has hair covering half of her face. I tried. This disconnect in control was another reason I could not get into Second Life.  I need to become more literate in the Second Life language before I make my final judgement, but as of now I do not understand where the main areas of business are, nor how to maneuver my avatar through the virtual world effectively. This disconnect may have contributed to my inability to bond with my avatar. I ended up flying through mountains, sinking in the rivers, and overall got very lost. 
I will try Second Life again soon, hopefully with better results. 

No comments: