Monday, November 17, 2008

Kleine Welt

In this short interactive video called Kleine Welt, or Small World, the narrators perspective of small town life came through by guiding the audience through a series of slides and stories. At first, I thought it was really interesting to be able to choose what slides you went through and create your own story within the larger project. However, as I got closer to the end, my choice became less and less. By the end of the project, there were many slides with only one red box to click on and advance to the next slide. I started to think what this lack of choice meant about living in a small town. You make initial choices about how you want to live, but being in a small town really limits your free will and choice. I wondered if everyone was given the same narrow choices at the end like I was. It is really important in flash, at least to me, to have the choice between hotspots mean something that relates to your project as a whole. Choice lets the audience get involved with the story, and become invested in its progress, but if it does not increase the understanding of the main point of a project, I do not think it should be utilized. In this project, I felt that choice and interactivity were used effectively because it enabled me to explore the town like I would normally. 

No comments: